The Wigan Directory of 1869, Parbold

PARBOLD, adjoining Wrightington, is a township also in the parish of Eccleston, and in the Hundred of Leyland. There is a good view of the Irish sea, and the lands north of the Ribble, from Parbold Hill. The Leeds and Liverpool Canal skirts the township, and also the Southport Railway.Good stone is quarried here. The fine new church of St. James' in Wigan, having been erected of it. The farming is of a high class. The population is 474, the acreage 1,165.



Ainscow H. and R., grocers, millers, and farmers
Alty John, farmer
Baron Thomas, Chapel House Inn
Barton John, farmer
Barton Peter, stone quarry owner and farmer
Barton William, coal proprietor
Blackburn Robert, Windmill Inn, and stone quarry owner
Ellison Enoch, farmer
Foster Elizabeth, shopkeeper
Liptrot William, tanner
Molyneux Elias, blacksmith, beer retailer, and postmaster
Myers Thomas, nailmaster and beer retailer
Price Rev. William
Rigby -, boat builder
Speakman Thomas, farmer, delf ho
Swift George, farmer
Twining Mrs., Parbold hall
Williams Robert, wheelwright
Young Frank, fire brick maker

Back to Index