The Wigan Directory of 1869, Haigh

HAIGH, a township and village north by east of Wigan, is remarkable for the mines of Cannel and the mineral of nearly equal value King coal, which is obtained as well as other varieties of coal. The owner being the Earl of Crawford and Balcarres, and the Wigan Coal and Iron Company the principal workers. Lord Crawford has a seat here, Haigh Hall, which from its elevated situation is a conspicuous object for many miles. The extensive "Plantations" around it reach into the borough of Wigan, and portions of them form a beautiful and favourite walk of the Wigan townspeople. The Haigh Foundry Company's Works, on the banks of the Douglas, turns out castings of the heaviest kinds, and also bar iron, spades, picks, &c., which the trade of the district requires. The church was built by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and is in the gift of the Rector of Wigan. Acreage, 2,009; population in 1861, 1,170, now greatly increased.



Abbott John, Balcarres' Arms
Aldworth Rev. John, M.A.
Aulsebrook William, master of Endowed grammar school
Barton Jane, farmer
Birley Henry, engineer, &c. (Haigh Foundry Co.)
Brown Alexander, farmer
Crawford and Balcarres, Earl of, Haigh hall
Churchouse Elijah, farmer
Cunliffe J. & P., farmers
Dickinson Robert, farmer
Gibson George, farmer & assistant overseer, Lindsay Arms Inn
Gibson Henry, shopkeeper
Hilton T. W., surveyor
Holden Edward, overlooker
Laing Alexander, farm bailiff
Lindsay Lord, Haigh hall
Lomas William, traveller
Rawcliffe Henry, brewer (John Sumner and Co.)
Speakman D. H., traveller
Sumner Mrs. Ellen, Haigh house
Sumner John & Co., brewers, and spirit merchants
Wood James, land agent to the Earl of Crawford and Balcarres, Moat house

Back to Index