The Wigan Directory of 1869, Golborne

GOLBORNE is a rural parish and township, containing a considerable village five miles south of Wigan on the L and N W Railway. It contains a church dedicated to St. Thomas, of which the living is in the gift of the Earl of Derby. The vicar is the Rev. C. T. Quirk. There are chapels for Independents, Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists, and Roman Catholics, and a meeting-room for Christians, who decline to be called by any other name. There are cotton mills in the village. Population in 1861 2,776. Acreage 1,634.



Arnott Mr. W. H., Queen Brow
Brewis Mr. John, Sunny Bank House and Park Villa
Caunce Mr. William, Park House
Crowther Mr. William, Parkside
Dunham Rev. F. A., (priest)
Fisher Rev. John, (curate)
Lowe John, Esq., The Hollies
Mitchell Mr. W., Park Cottage
Moon Miss, Golborne Dale Cottage
Moore Rev. Wm., (Independent)
Pye Mr. Rober
Quirk Rev. Charles T., M.A. (vicar)
Rothwell Mrs.
Worsley Robert, Esq., The Heywoods

Back to Index