The Wigan Directory of 1869, Abram

Abram, a township about 3½ miles S. by E. from Wigan, contains a scattered village, and a church dedicated to St. John the Evangelist. The church is about a mile from Platt bridge station, on the Manchester railway (via Tyldesley) and 2½ miles from Golborne. The population at the last census was 901, and the area is about three square miles.


Ackers Charles P., Bickershaw
Ackers Mrs., Bickershaw hall
Ackers, Whitley & Co., coal proprietors, Bickershaw collieries
Banks Samuel, farmer
Birchall Joseph, farmer
Branwood John, farmer
Crankshaw David, shopkeeper and school, Bickershaw lane
Dean Elizabeth, farmer
Dootson Henry, beer retailer, Bickershaw lane
Draper Henry, farmer
Fairhurst Thurstan, farmer
Gerrard Charles, farmer
Gerrard Peter, farmer
Gregory John, farmer
Hart Ellen, Red Lion, Dover
Hart James, farmer
Hickson John, senior, farmer
Hickson John, junior, farmer
Hill Ralph, farmer
Hindley Field Coal Co., coal proprietors, Bickershaw
Ingram Peter, farmer
Lowe George, Forester's Arms, Bickershaw lane
Lowe William, farmer
Lyon Joseph, shopkeeper
Monks Thomas, cashier, Willow cottage
Neville David, farmer
Painter William, Buck's Head
Peet - farmer
Perrin Mr. Peter, Ivy cottage
Prescott Henry, beer retailer
Robinson William, brewer, Bolton house
Rogerson Thomas, farmer
Rosbottom Thomas, shopkeeper
Scotson Hannah, farmer
Smith John, farmer, Park lane
Smith T., farmer, Bamfurlong
Tarbuck John, colliery manager, Bickershaw
Taylor William, farmer
West John, shopkeeper, Bickershaw lane

Back to Index