wiganworld home page
Home Photos of Wigan Stuff News What's on Classifieds Forum Communicate Guestbook Links
 Search    In association with  The Wigan Courier
 News
  Local News
  News Archive
 
Wigan Weather
  Weather
 
In Court
  Wigan Magistrates Court
 
 
Best Bar None returns
Tuesday 9th April, 2013

Best Bar None returns
Back row: (L-R) Joe Curran Best Bar None Ambassador, Tom Bailey from Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service.
Middle row: (L-R) Darryl Latham from Indiependence, Steve Wearing principal licensing officer at Wigan Council, Mike Matthews Town Centre Manager.
Front row: Iain Procter-Dow North West Ambulance Service, Michelle Ashurst community support office, Howard Gallimore member of the BBN steering group. Tending the bar: Chris Coutanche, general manager of Revolution

The scheme to ensure the safety of partygoers in Wigan Town Centre has returned for a second year.

An official launch event took place today (Tuesday 9th April) at Revolution in Wigan to mark the return of Best Bar None – the accreditation and award scheme aimed at reducing alcohol-related crime and disorder in Wigan town centre.

So far 18 bars have pledged their support to the popular scheme which promotes the responsible management of licensed premises.
To qualify, pubs, bars and clubs are required to meet certain standards in operational management, particularly in relation to measures designed to reduce crime and disorder, prevent public nuisance, promote public safety, protect children from harm and raise awareness around alcohol consumption.

Accreditation is awarded only when judges are satisfied that a strict set of criteria are complied with. These include, for instance, how premises control capacity or ensure door staff are licensed. It also considers how premises assess the impact of noise or litter on the community and how they ensure policies and procedures around illegal substances are adhered to - amongst other things.

The scheme is endorsed and supported by agencies including Wigan Council, Greater Manchester Police, the NHS, Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service and North West Ambulance Service.

Councillor Kevin Anderson, cabinet portfolio holder for safer communities at Wigan Council, said:

“This scheme was a huge success last year with 17 pubs, bars and clubs working together to provide a safe environment for their staff and customers.

“We’re hoping to build upon this success and get even more premises signed up.”

Chris Coutanche, general manager of Revolution – last year’s overall winner, said: “Based on the success of last year, I believe that everyone working together to an accredited best bar none standard will have significant improvements on customers nights out and their general experience of Wigan.”

Michelle Ashurst, community safety officer at Greater Manchester Police said: “Working together with partners and local businesses, this scheme will help to create a safer place for the people of Wigan.”

Once bars, pubs and nightclubs have been accredited, judges will then determine which ones have demonstrated exceptional commitment to community safety. Winners will be recognised at an awards ceremony this October.



[Back...]
 
 © 2019 wiganworld
Click here to read the privacy policy, disclaimer and copyright information.
Please contact us with your ideas, suggestions, moans or questions.