wiganworld home page
Home Photos of Wigan Stuff News What's on Classifieds Forum Communicate Guestbook Links
 Search    In association with  The Wigan Courier
  Local News
  News Archive
Wigan Weather
In Court
  Wigan Magistrates Court
Man jailed for attacking man in bed
Friday 8th April, 2011

Man jailed for attacking man in bed
Guilty - Andrew Pilkington

A man has been jailed for violently attacking another man in his bed after breaking into his Wigan home with two friends.

Andrew Wayne Pilkington (29/12/1980), of no fixed address admitted Section 20 Assault (causing grievous bodily harm) at an earlier hearing.

On Thursday 7 April 2011, he was sentenced to two years in prison at Liverpool Crown Court.

Craig Marsh (22/06/1983) and Lee Thomas Rigby (12/09/1982), have already been jailed for two-years-and-nine months and two-years-and-six-months respectively for their part in the attack on the former Royal Marine.

The victim, 25 at the time, was on a night out with friends on Saturday 27 March 2010.

During the evening he went to Madisons on King Street where he was approached by Pilkington, who he did not know, who tried to head-butt him. Following a brief scuffle Pilkington was ejected.

The man continued with his evening and eventually went to back to his home on Thetford Close, Hindley, in the early hours of Sunday morning.

He was asleep with his girlfriend when Pilkington, Rigby and Marsh forced their way into his bedroom.

Pilkington repeatedly punched him in the face before Rigby and Marsh joined in the attack. The assault left the victim unconscious.

The trio stole an expensive Breitling watch, games console, laptop and cash before escaping.

Following the assault Pilkington went on the run until he was arrested on 19 December 2010,

Detective Constable Stuart Woodhead, of Wigan CID, said: “Pilkington is a dangerous individual and has a proven history of violence.

“He, along with Marsh and Riby, are responsible for a horrendous assault on a former Marine in his own home as he slept.

“Pilkington evaded the police for nine months however with assistance from members of the Hindley community and due to the determination of officers across Wigan to find him, justice has caught up with him.”

 © 2019 wiganworld
Click here to read the privacy policy, disclaimer and copyright information.
Please contact us with your ideas, suggestions, moans or questions.