wiganworld home page
Home Photos of Wigan Stuff News What's On Classifieds Forum Communicate Guestbook Links Blogs
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            register
Setting Up A Wireless Router

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Townofmemories

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Setting Up A Wireless Router Reply with quote

Hi all,

Im trying to set up a wireless router for the father in law. It is a "newlink" router, and Im trying to set it up on a blueyonder/virgin connection. I have the basics, plugged in etc. But am struggling on the configuration. For example, it asks me to set up the connection, asking whether it is a PPTP, PPPOE, etc. and was/am wondering if anyone can offer guidance, as to how I should set it up correctly Smile

Ta.
arrow

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The type of connection you have is Dynamic, if Dynamic isn't in the router's options you might have the wrong type of router. Most routers are made for DSL type connections (BT AOL Tiscali etc) which aren't compatible with Virgin's cable modems, a few can be used for both types.
Although not specific to your router Virgin's help pages may be of some use, http://help2.virginmedia.com/help/getContent.jspx?page=h_broadband_setupinstructions

If you get it up and running don't forget to turn the router's Encryption on otherwise all your father in law's neighbours will be using his internet connection for free Laughing
Townofmemories

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arrow wrote:
The type of connection you have is Dynamic, if Dynamic isn't in the router's options you might have the wrong type of router. Most routers are made for DSL type connections (BT AOL Tiscali etc) which aren't compatible with Virgin's cable modems, a few can be used for both types.
Although not specific to your router Virgin's help pages may be of some use, http://help2.virginmedia.com/help/getContent.jspx?page=h_broadband_setupinstructions

If you get it up and running don't forget to turn the router's Encryption on otherwise all your father in law's neighbours will be using his internet connection for free Laughing

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I will give it a go Smile.
Townofmemories

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SadSadSad

If I post the manual provided up, can someone kind of guide me through it please? Smile

A pint or two will be in it when I make my way to a meet Smile
Hadoken87

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post the manual. I'll see what I can help with
Townofmemories

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manual - http://us.share.geocities.com/fgdokjwe/WirelessRouter.pdf

Main trouble is what connection type it is (used on a blueyonder broadband connection, connected via coaxial cable, always on?) and where I get the numbers from for each? Also, is there anything off the router I need, numbers addresses etc.?

Regards.
arrow

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The manual link isn't working, what's the model number?

With a Cable modem those numbers aren't usualy needed. I forgot to say in my earlier post that a Dynamic connection is sometimes called a DHCP connection, does that ring any bells with the options you've seen whilst fighting with it? Smile
Townofmemories

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... Try logging into the geocities I set up. The username is "fgdokjwe" and the password is "987654321". Don't worry about the account, I set it up just for that Laughing. I have seen the setting you mean, but its got me well and truly lost.
arrow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After logging in to the site last night I couldn't view the manual because it said the bandwidth allocation had been exceeded. I've managed to get it this morning though.

Ok, here's what I'd try first. Turn everything off, unplug the cables and reset the router to it's factory settings by pushing something into the reset switch's hole on the back of it.
If the installation CD walks you through the setup telling you what leads to plug in just reconnect the cable modem to the PC with a network lead, switch on and follow the instructions on the CD and choose DHCP as the connection type.
If the cd doesn't walk you through it connect a network lead from your cable modem to the the router's WAN port, use another network lead to connect your router's number 1 LAN port to your PC's network card, switch on and follow the instruction on page 10 of the manual to set XP to look for the settings it's self. After you've done all that switch everything off and back on again.

The reason I'm asking you to use a cable connection through the router first is to make sure that the router and modem are working together propely.
Do you want the PC that you are setting up to use the wireless connection or is the wireless connection for other PCs in the house?
Townofmemories

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What it is is that I want the wireless function for other PCs in the house. The one connected to the router I'm not too fussed about. I will give that a go tomorrow. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wiganworld Forum Index -> Computer problems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: