wiganworld home page
Home Photos of Wigan Stuff News What's On Classifieds Forum Communicate Guestbook Links Blogs
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            register
Removing Start Up programmes
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Garnet76

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried again and they have stayed off this time-all except for Quick Time. I've never even been into that so why it needs to start on startup is beyond me! I'm just trying anything really to get this blinkin PC to work quicker!! It seems to take about ten minutes to load up. Sometimes it's really slow starting programmes up yet other times it can be really quick.
When it goes really slow Mr G (knows-all-bugger-all type) blames it on music/films I've downloaded and makes me delete everything-even though I know folk who have twenty times more music on their PCs than I have! According to him, the grand total of four downloaded albums and three films for the kids are having a catastrophic effect on the speed of the comp!! Rolling Eyes
arrow

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds as though you've a few things going on there Garnet, possible spyware infection as well as too many programs running.
I'd start by running virus and spyware scans. If you don't want to install new programs to check for these there are a few online scans you can use that won't require you to uninstall what you've got on your PC.
Housecall scans for viruses and spyware, http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
Garnet76

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've run anti-virus and anti-spyware programmes and everything comes back clear Confused
I tried to follow a link you posted elsewhere to a microsoft registry thingy but it wouldn't let me in Confused Confused
arrow

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What antivirus and antispyware software have you used Garnet?
If it was Norton you used you should be Ok for viruses but I'd definitely try something else for spyware, see here for why Norton is rubbish at spyware scanning Shocked
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Cyber_Chat/index.php?showtopic=721

This is the Windows Live OneCare link I would have put on before,
http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm
It is good and if you use the Full Service Scan it should help you get your PC faster, you have open the link with Internet Explorer for it to work though Smile
Garnet76

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used AVG anti-virus and Ad-aware anti-spyware.Originally I just had PC guard but I've been told it isn't very good. I tried changing over to these a while ago but as I didn't have a new firewall I couldn't uninstall PC Guard, but I installed that firewall you recommended and have changed everything over again. Did a deep scan and everything comes up clear.
It was that one care link I followed but it wouldn't run a scan on my comp-even though I do use Internet Explorer Confused
Never mind-I'll try it again. Thanks Arrow Very Happy
Garnet76

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried that one care scanner again. It will let me install it but won't let me launch scanner! Evil or Very Mad Mad
Never mind its letting me run it now-just got to wait and see what it comes up with Sad
arrow

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did it find anything? Smile
thesurgeon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garnet76, you're problem MAY be the 'Quicktime'. If it is your default media player, then at startup it has been known to look for updates / media files/ track/ album info etc at startup.

The simplest thing to try would be to time your startup:
1) with your internet connection ON
2) with your internet connection OFF
that is presuming you are on Broadband of course, are you?

If it is much slower with your internet on, then it is a programme that is hogging your RAM at startup, such as Quicktime.

If you disable Quicktime from starting up at startup and you say it installs itself again at the next startup, then it is because it IS your default media player. Quicktime always does this after playing any media on your p.c.
An option would be to uninstall Quicktime (its not that good anyway) and to choose Realplayer (or any other that you like) and in that players preferences, choose it as your default media player for all file types, and of course disabling it from the startup menu.
Realplayer does not reinstall itself into the startup menu.

Another option would be to defragment your hard drive, i.e rearrange all like file types tidier and together.
To do this is easy, go to START > CONTROL PANEL > PERFORMANCE AND MAINTENANCE > REARRANGE ITEMS ON YOUR HARD DISK TO MAKE PROGRAMMES RUN FASTER > ANALYZE > and then defragment after.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.
Garnet76

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that Surgeon- I'll have a go. The one care scanner found 21 registry faults and 118 Mb of temp files. No virus/spyware and didn't need a defrag. I don't know if the faults and temp files were significant enough to cause any problems Arrow, it doesn't seem to have made that much difference to the comps speed Confused
Thank you anyway Very Happy Very Happy
wiganyankeeron

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Surgeon Following your previous instructions. I can't find a 'Performance and Maintainance' icon in Control Panel????
thesurgeon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiganyankeeron wrote:
Hi Surgeon Following your previous instructions. I can't find a 'Performance and Maintainance' icon in Control Panel????

Hi, are you running XP ?
If you are; you must be in classic view (its for the oldies who cant get windows 98 out of their system lol).
Press start>control panel , and then in the left hand panel, should be ''switch to category view''.
Click this then leave it like that from now on, as this is the XP default type screen. You will find the Performance and maintenance option now.

Hope this helps
If your not on XP, then maybe someone else can help.
jetosc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who wants to remove a lot of the crud that builds up on a PC, quickly and easily, try this software...Clean Cache 3.5 available here...

http://www.buttuglysoftware.com/

Install it and set up your preferences, run it whenever you feel like it. It may not remove all the garbage, but it does a reasonable job.
Ian Mcl

Location: Bijou penthouse suite in the heart of Wigan's Theatreland

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick comment - I love Spybot S&D - hate Norton! why not use AVG it s free and better in my humble opinion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
wiganyankeeron

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have got AVG and Adaware. I just think I may have a lot of rubbish on my computer it really could do with a SPRING CLEAN.... I'll have to get someone to come and look at it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wiganworld Forum Index -> Computer problems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: