wiganworld home page
Home Photos of Wigan Stuff News What's On Classifieds Forum Communicate Guestbook Links Blogs
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            register
Removing Start Up programmes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wiganyankeeron

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Removing Start Up programmes Reply with quote

I have seen how to stop programmes starting on Start Up but, Sod's law. I can't now find how to do it.... Can someone explain what you need to do?
I recent;y downloaded Adobe 8 in order to read an attachment in an e.mail However it downloaded a couple of other programmes i.e. Adobe Photoshop Album, which I don't really want. Can I just delete this programme? It is in the Adobe 8 folder on my desktop
Oy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start > Control Panel > Add or remove programs.

Select Adobe Album from the list and click the "Change/remove" button that appears on the right.
wiganyankeeron

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I know how to remove programmes uaing the Add and Remove programme file. Just wantd to make sure I could remove just part of the file. How do I stop programmes starting on Start Up?
Roobarb and Custard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please see the posts here http://wiganworld.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1262

UK Business Directory www.Eyes4Biz.com

ASKNikon http://www.asknikon.com

Gallery http://500px.com/ShootMe
wiganyankeeron

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I don't really want to download Spybot as I alrady have other Spyware programmes. I know there is a way of configuring what programmes you have running on Start Up. It's just that I can't find where I have seen it? I have Picasa 2 running on start up, which I don't think I need to start every time I boot up the computer? All I want to know is how to stop it?
Roobarb and Custard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to start, run and type msconfig then hit enter. You will see the starup tab as in the pics of the link i gave you. You can uncheck the things you do not want to start at startup.

wiganyankeeron

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks roobarb That's it, I knew you had to put something in "RUN" Very Happy
thesurgeon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good rule of thumb to have a performing, quick start up and faster p.c. is to have as few items in your Taskbar as possible. That is the area to the bottom right of your screen. The fewer items here the better.
I have 5 including the clock, NIS, mail handler and volume control.
These are all programmes that start when you start your computer, if there is something there that doesn't need to be there ALL THE TIME, then stop it from starting as per Roobarbs post earlier.

Dont worry.stopping it from starting up doesn't stop you from using it when you need it, it just stops it from ALWAYS running in the background.
Garnet76

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had a look in there as my comp keeps going really slow and I've just made a very quick getaway because I really don't understand what half of it means!!!Knowing my luck I'd probably do something like stop the monitor coming on at startup or turn the net off! Embarassed
arrow

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow what thesurgeon said to see what programs are running in the System Tray on your taskbar and then open those programs to look in their options or preferences to stop them running when Windows starts instead of using msconfig to stop them.
jetosc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garnet76 wrote:
I've just had a look in there as my comp keeps going really slow and I've just made a very quick getaway because I really don't understand what half of it means!!!Knowing my luck I'd probably do something like stop the monitor coming on at startup or turn the net off! Embarassed

You can also check Task Manager. Under the processes tab see how many are running. A rule of thumb is 35-38 for a desktop computer and 38-42 for a laptop. This will indicate how much junk you have accumulated over the life of your PC. Can be a bit of a minefield to go through if you are a little unsure, but you can always Google the processes and see what you really don't need running.
Roobarb and Custard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garnet76 wrote:

Garnet76, there are a few reasons your computer may be running slow.

1: Go here http://www.aumha.org/a/health.php#tip6 and complete step 4 take out the trash
2: Download Spybot search and destroy, run it and remove any malware found
3: Run a complete virus check
4: Defrag your hard drive

Garnet76

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew I was a bit thick when it came to computers but Embarassed not that bad! I thought I'd already deleted all my temporary files-didn't realise there were temp Internet files too Embarassed Well, I've done that now so thank you all. Hopefully it'll work a bit quicker now!! Very Happy
Garnet76

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm. Tried that last night and it's still slow! Tried the Run,msconfig thing but it keeps coming up with System Utility Configurator telling me this is running and that I shouldn't be mauling unless I'm an engineer???Thing is it is starting up a bit quicker but I don't want to kill the comp! If I press OK when this comes up,all the programmes I de-selected open up again. If it comes up for me I just X it away,but Mr G freaks out a bit and clicks for normal startup. I apologise if this doesn't make much sense but I'm not much good at computer stuff Embarassed
arrow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The box that you are getting is just telling you that you've altered the startup, there should be a box to tick so that it doesn't keep telling you.
What programs are starting at startup that you want to stop Garnet76?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wiganworld Forum Index -> Computer problems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: