wiganworld home page
Home Photos of Wigan Stuff News What's On Classifieds Forum Communicate Guestbook Links Blogs
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            register
8 Marsh Lane Wigan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyril

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: 8 Marsh Lane Wigan Reply with quote

Interestingly I've just been reading and which I never knew, James Lawler Booth, known as George Formby Snr and Eliza Hoy Booth originally lived at 8 Marsh Lane, which ran down from Standishgate to Water Street, (between what was The White Horse pub now Hartley’s Emporium, and what was, before being demolished to make way for Bryan House, Preston's furniture store.) the lane is still there with Marsh Lane street sign on the pub wall.

The Booth's also lived at 1 Cecil Street before moving to 3 Westminster Street. I'm sure most folks know that George Jnr was born here on 26th May 1904, though I didn't know that he was the first surviving child with his three younger sisters having died within months of being born, those times sure were bleak as they were buried in mass unmarked graves in Wigan Cemetery, though their first child Louisa Booth had company in Plot F 437 as she was laid to rest along with her maternal grandfather George Hoy on 14th April 1900. They also, later, had four other children who died very young and was interred into plots of mass unmarked graves at Wigan Cemetery.

I also never knew that they had later lived at 27 Turner Street where on 27th May 1906, Louisa Hoy Booth was born, she was known as Louie. They must later have moved from here to Walthew House Farm.
Cyril

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been informed that Daryl is the landlord, with the pub name having gone back to being the White Horse.

White Horse Standishgate

Where Arkwright's shop is two doors up from the pub it was taken over by Help the Aged for a charity shop in the 1980s and there was a problem with rats in the cellar, there was some original beams still in place under the shop floor and they were actual tree trunks with the tops flattened off, both shops were actually part of the White Horse when it was a coaching inn and it is, reputably, the oldest pub in Wigan centre. The shop is now a newsagent whilst the shop inbetween on the photo, which then was a small electrical appliance retailer was combined into the pub in the 1970s.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wiganworld Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: