wiganworld home page
Home Photos of Wigan Stuff News What's On Classifieds Forum Communicate Guestbook Links Blogs
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            register
Can I nudge your memory?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulgreen3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Can I nudge your memory? Reply with quote

Hello.

It's been a while since I have posted anything but as I was going through some old photographs, I came across these so I thought I would share them with you.

No prizes but I would like to know the name of the ginnel, if anyone can remember?
Art

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Market Bank was in the backyard of NatWest. I used to park in there & enter the Standishgate bank via the back door.
The "Ginnell", I've heard described as Haywardens yard & Hope St (continuation of) coming out at Timsons Shoes on Standishgate
Confused
paulgreen3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean this one Art?

Esme said she thought it was Hope Street but I could not remember? Haywardens Yard, did that belong to the Bathroom shop or someone else?
Cyril

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Art, in the Wigan Streets section it is down as being: Hawarden's Yard, and on a photo in the Album it is at the side of what was then the Three Crowns.

Paul, the shop on the left of the photo of the bank in Woodcock Street was as you probably will know at one time Ben Turner's butchers, it was then being used by the local RSPCA branch as a charity shop, their other one at the bottom of Greenhough Street having been demolished to make way for the new road widening scheme at the time.

They were very thankful to be able to use the shop albeit only temporarily, but I think they were glad in a way when they moved out of there as it was a very cold building to be in.
paulgreen3

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Cyril. I can remember the building at the bottom of Greenhough Street because while the alterations of the road system were taking place, I was able to gain access to one of the upstairs rooms to view, amongst other things, the demolition of the Powell Street Barracks. Without looking, I cannot remember if I gave Brian pictures of that to post because I let him have many pictures of Wigan after the changes had taken place.

When I have a spare minute or two, I'll post a few more pictures to see if you can recognise where the shots were taken from or of what?
Art

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW Paul....Nice site of Crooke you've got there.

Just one thing, It was a Tipper, not a Tippler.

A tippler would have sunk the barges with it's aggressive delivery, usually into a hopper/bunker Wink

Always known as "Crooke Tip"....Buscuit & meself used to maintain it (the Capstan, lighting, phones (all the way up to Johnpit)
Cyril

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, I hadn't noticed the web link until Art mentioned it, and yes a very interesting and informative site it is, even though I've known and walked through Crooke and even enjoyed an underage pint or two a few times in the Crooke Hall Inn; I haven't known about its history, it's a pity that so many of the houses and especially the Hall that were there originally got demolished instead of being renovated.

As children we would go to Crooke to watch the barges being filled with coal by that 'Tippler', yes Art I have always known it to be called a 'Tippler', and I'm sure many other folks called it by that name too, and a right clatter the coal made whilst going down the metal on the chute, sometimes we were lucky when we hitched a lift and a bargee would let us ride on the barge back to Martland Mill.

Art, look at the link below, bet there's only Biscuit and yourself call it a Tipper. Laughing

Coal Tippler

I can understand that Tipper would be a better name, but Tippler is the name that stuck. Very Happy
Mick

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to just call it that thing where boats fill up.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/154715975@N05/
Art

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tippler does a whole 360 degree spin & dumps the load into a hopper in seconds, which loads it on a conveyor thro' a small exit chute hole to sread the load of usually 10 t0 15 tons.
A Tipper upends the wagon, which has softwood pegs replacing the steel pegs on the END of the wagon, so as when the wagon TIPS to 45 degrees, the pegs break, the door swings open & a much gentler exit for the coal can be controlled by adjusting the angle of the wagon unloading the coal. more control means that the barge can be moved along whilst "tipping". Putting 45 to 50 tons into an 11ft beam barge

Cyril, You may have walked through Crooke, I have lived a few hundred yards from & still do also worked on the very same site.
Whatever you call it, locally, it was known as Crooke Tip. I knew the men who manned it, the men who maintaned it Even Mrs Jones the Landlady of the Crooke Hall pub for more years than anyone else, even Joe Rackets, who gave his wages to her on a Friday & asked to be told when he had "spent up". Blind billy who would sing his head of for a gill, & 'Owd Whack, who HAD to be the winner at 5's & 3's plus many more real Characters..
paulgreen3

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Cyril has said, even though I have only known about it for the last 10/11 years, I have always known it as the Tippler although I understand what you are saying Art.

As you knew the guys who used to maintain the device and its attachments, perhaps you might know these guys?

That is an interesting link you put there Cyril. I have had a good look and found it fascinating.

Next week, Esme and I are going to Leigh to see the Archivist with a view to seeing if we can uncover some more pictures from the archives that are not yet in the public domain. We are also going to look a little deeper into 'The Duncan Arms'? I have a story to add to the Crooke Site, into the 'About Crooke' which will probably bring back a few more memories? I've not quite got it all together yet, but it will not be long.

I don't suppose, going back to the Duncan Arms for a mo, that anyone has any pictures of the pub or information I can use for the site?
Cyril

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't take much to get you riled up does it Art, instead of raising your voice and blood pressure by writing in bold, why not write down your memories of the area and ask for them to be included on the Crooke web site and archives, so all can read about them in the future, I'm sure many will enjoy your recounts about Crooke in the past. Smile

You and others whom worked there may have known it by the name of a Tipper, but all I'm saying is that everyone who I know and even folks on the web sites calls them by the name of a Coal Tippler.

Copied from GMPT Places To Go - Wigan.

One of literature’s most instantly recognisable
locations, Wigan Pier took its name from both a
coal tippler and a Victorian Music Hall joke. As a
tippler, coal was loaded from colliery wagons onto
canal barges for onward transport to Liverpool’s
Docks or the hungry hearths and furnaces of South
Lancashire.

Coal Tippler
Mick

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right Cyril Arts memories of the area would be a great addition to the Crooke web.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/154715975@N05/
paulgreen3

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's about it Art?
reenie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: nudge memory Reply with quote

Brass Farthing brought back memory as i used to work there Smile
Art

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulgreen3 wrote:
How's about it Art?

We'll Have a chat over a pint when t'weather gets a bit warmer.... Crooke Hall?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wiganworld Forum Index -> Photos of Wigan All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: