wiganworld home page
Home Photos of Wigan Stuff News What's On Classifieds Forum Communicate Guestbook Links Blogs
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            register
Hole in the Road

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulgreen3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Hole in the Road Reply with quote

Yesterday, Friday the 19th October, we negociated a path around a hole in the road that opened up overnight on Wigan Lower Road opposite Spelding Drive in Standish Lower Ground. There were police directing traffic at first but when we returned after doing our shopping, traffic lights had been installed to control the traffic.

As time went on, the hole became bigger and had sunk to a depth of about three feet down.
The Water Board came and put wire mesh around the hole and began to investigate. We were advised by a friend who called that the road was going to be closed after rush hour and as we went out last night, we had to find an alternative route to get home. A 'Road Closed' sign had been mounted at the traffic lights at the bottom of Beech Hill.

This morning, I went to buy a news paper and to see what was happening and saw the guys who had turned up to do the repair work. I was informed that a sewer had collapsed.

When I went back at about 4.45pm, I found that they now had a machine on site as well as a Kango jack hammer digging up yet more of the road!

When they broke through the tarmack, another big hole opened up because the ground under the tarmack had also been washed away!

Soon after, they packed up for the day.

We'll see what tomorrow brings?
Oy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went that way last night and it said road closed - but someone had moved a few cones and cars were just bumping up onto the pavement to get past.
Cyril

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A main drag runs under there going to Hoscar Moss having been pumped from Standish and going through the housing estate, it's fast flowing too and has man chains at the bottom of the manholes in case anyone gets swept along in the flow.
paulgreen3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Cyril.

This morning at about 11.00am, they were sinking shuttering and by 3.00pm, they had gone but they had dug out a lot of wet earth.

and they had filled in the first hole with stone

And even though the road was closed, there were motorists still squeezing their way past!!!

I have learnt second hand that the road could be up for two weeks but don't quote me on that.
paulgreen3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today, Monday 22nd October, I called around to see what was happening, not much but what I can tell you is this.

The first guys on the job were Irish and I learned from them that the hole was about 4 meters deep and they opened the ground further towards Shevington to reveal a bigger hole under the tarmac. The shuttering that was sunk in yesterday, fortunately did not damage the existing pipe work anymore. If one more piece had been put in, it would have smashed the pipe work further.

The guy in charge today told me that at least one pipe of 9" to 12" in diameter and 6' to 9' in length of terracotta pipe would be needed to replace the broken existing one. He also told me that the original hole that had been filled in, would have to be opened up again and the hole extended to the newer hole but in the right direction. Fortunately, there are not many services in the way except for a telecoms duct and a main water pipe which cross the sewer so he said the job should be straight forward. According to this guy, the sewer is about 3 meters down.

There seems to be lack of road signage advising drivers of the situation and the guy in charge said that it is the responsibility of the council. I don't know so I cannot make a judgement but I would have thought it would have been the responsibility to the engineers doing the repair work but Who am I, what do I know?

After the work had ceased yesterday, drivers were mounting the kerb and squeezing past the make shift fencing but hopefully, the road will be better screened off today because more fencing has been put in place?

Drivers should respect the fact the work needs to be done and this repair has been in place now for a couple of days so drivers should by now be aware of the situation and plan an alternate route? What say you, no matter how inconvenient it may be? That is only my opinion because I too find it inconvenient but necessary. Perhaps you might think differently?

The job will start in earnest tomorrow and it is expected to take another 3 days so by the end of Thursday, the job should be finished. But, hold on, ALL is NOT finished. I have been advised that the road will be closed over the weekend because the road near the pit houses towards Woodhouse Lane, at the bottom of Wigan Lower Road, is going to be resurfaced. How much of it is to be done, I do not know. If that is true, then the road should be properly re-opened by Monday next week?
paulgreen3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday, the hole had been increased in size and at the time I passed by, they lowered a piece of pipe into the hole to be fitted.

Today, there was less activity and I couild see water trickling in the bottom.

Completion day is still set for tomorrow of Friday. At this rate of progress, I would think by the end of Friday unless there is something else which is delaying their progress?
Cyril

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That isn't the main sewer that I was on about Paul, the pipe replacement looks to be around 9" to 10" diameter whereas the sewer I was on about had a pipe diameter of about 3 to 4 foot, that sewer must lead into it.
paulgreen3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've no idea Cyril. I too would have thought the main sewer would have been of a greater diameter and as you say, the piece they are putting in looks to be 9" or so, so maybe this is not the main but a feed? The man on the job said it was the main but what do I know?
paulgreen3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it seems that they may finish tomorrow afterall. I have been out today and called there at about 5.00pm and it looks like tarmac is the only item left to lay, apart from removing the spoil. But one never knows? Anyway, this what I saw earlier.

So, hopefully, the job should be finished by the end of the tomorrow.

Don't forget, the man told me that the road is going to be closed again over the weekend. I have learned that it is going to be over the next 3 or 4 weks when the road will be closed on Sundays for resurfacing. Don't say you have not been warned.
bennielechat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've worked hard today because at 8am this morning there was still quite a bit of hole left and I watched them pulling out the steel supports.

Good reporting Paul, you've deputised well for Mick this week.
paulgreen3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Benny but the job's not finished yet but thanks too for your input. I'll try to finish what I started.
paulgreen3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the job is almost complete. at about 5.45, I called around to see the progress to find the road has been tarmaced but not quite finished. I noticed that the road has been re-white lined, noy very well I might add! Who ever tried to paint the white line, did not do a very good job. You will see what I mean when you next pass over that piece of painting.

However, the guys, who had just come back from the chippy, told me that they were going to paint the repaired road surface with some sort of resin as water protection and then cover that with small stone which would take about 3 hours to set and then they would leave. They will come back tomorrow morning at 7.00am and clear away all the barriers and re-open the road. That will happen at about 8.00am.

I have a correction. The road is due to close again next weekend on Sunday and the following two Sundays to follow for road resurfacing, unless you know somethin different?
paulgreen3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE ROAD IS NOW OPEN.

Here endeth the drain saga.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wiganworld Forum Index -> Photos of Wigan All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: