wiganworld home page
Home Photos of Wigan Stuff News What's On Classifieds Forum Communicate Guestbook Links Blogs
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            register
Reformatting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Del

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reformatting Reply with quote

We have tried in the past through Easy-Tek, but did'nt manage it ....in fact we did wipe everything off, but could not get anything back on again, so still had to send it to shop we usually use and had to pay to have it done properly Shocked

can anyone write an easy way of reformatting?? Very Happy
JohnnyX

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Windows XP,

1. Boot off the Windows XP CD.

2. It'll show you a list of existing partitions and unallocated space - if any.

There usually only one displayed on most PCs.

3. With the partition highlighted, press D to Delete it.

4. The setup program will then show this as unallocated space.

5. With it highlighted, press C to Create a new partition - usually the whole of the disk.

6. Then pick the option to Format using NTFS file system.

7. Windows XP installs itself on the 'new' partition.

Cheers.

Last edited by JohnnyX on Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
JohnnyX

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing exactly the same thing to my PC this weekend, but I'm going to create 2 partitions on my hard disk

One partition to rebuild my existing Windows XP and a second partition to install Windows Vista, to have a play with.

Yesterday I bought a 160GB External Hard Disk that I am going to use to backup all the existing files on my hard disk. I'll pull them back off there after the rebuild.

Cheers.

Last edited by JohnnyX on Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
arrow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get an XP disc with it or a "Recovery disc" Del?
And what have you done to it so as it needs formating, who broke it? Laughing

Last edited by arrow on Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
arrow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyX, if your existing XP install is in good condition this might be useful to resize your partitions,
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/index.php
JohnnyX

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arrow wrote:
JohnnyX, if your existing XP install is in good condition this might be useful to resize your partitions,
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/index.php

Thanks mate.

My PC could do with a rebuild. It's got loads of different software that I've installed and trailed over the past 3 or 4 years - a lot of which I no longer use or have found better versions. As well as umpteen games and learning software installed for my kids that they no longer use. I could selectively uninstall it all, but I'd rather start afresh. I've got all my original software and driver CDs so I should be ok.

Plus it's a while since I've done a reformat & install, so I'd like to treat it as a bit of a refresher.

Cheers.
Roobarb and Custard

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyX wrote:
I'm doing exactly the same thing to my PC this weekend, but I'm going to create 2 partitions on my hard disk

One partition to rebuild my existing Windows XP and a second partition to install Windows Vista, to have a play with.

Yesterday I bought a 160GB External Hard Disk that I am going to use to backup all the existing files on my hard disk. I'll pull them back off there after the rebuild.

Cheers.

JX virtual pc 2004 is now a free download, so you can test Vista and a few Linux distros at the same time, and then if you like Vista you can upgrade the XP install.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=6D58729D-DFA8-40BF-AFAF-20BCB7F01CD1&displaylang=en

UK Business Directory www.Eyes4Biz.com

ASKNikon http://www.asknikon.com

Gallery http://500px.com/ShootMe
Del

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info JX n Arrow, I think its the XP disc we got with our older pc Arrow.

We will have a go Surprised
wiganyankeeron

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyX wrote:
I

Cheers.

Hi I want to increase my hard drive capacity. I only have 30gb at present. I took it to a comp.shop, Who said that if I wanted a bigger hard drive I would have to replace my mother board ? Then I would have to reinstall all my hardware. Someone suggested getting an external hard drive to increase the cpacity, as then I wouldn't need to lose everything. Where did you get it from? How much was it?
arrow

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old is your PC Ron?
JohnnyX

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiganyankeeron wrote:
Hi I want to increase my hard drive capacity. I only have 30gb at present. I took it to a comp.shop, Who said that if I wanted a bigger hard drive I would have to replace my mother board ? Then I would have to reinstall all my hardware. Someone suggested getting an external hard drive to increase the cpacity, as then I wouldn't need to lose everything. Where did you get it from? How much was it?

What spec of PC do you have?

How old is the PC.

I'm suprised that you can't put a bigger hard disk in - unless the PC is really old.

I useually get my computer bits & pieces on the Web - Much cheaper.

I use www.ebuyer.com and www.dabs.com

A few people I know buy from www.scan.co.uk which has a walk-in shop in Horwich.

I paid about 65.00 for mine. It's USB 2.0.

External hard disks are really only for storing data files, not installing programs on them. If you need to install new/additional programs then you need to clear space on your internal hard disk.

Cheers.

Last edited by JohnnyX on Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
arrow

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I was thinking Johnny, some old motherboards are limited to 32gig hard drives. I've never tried this but wouldn't Ron be able to buy a PCI sata card and a sata hard drive, I think I'm right in saying the PCI sata cards have their own BIOS and would bypass the motherboards? It would be much cheaper and easier than what the shop are saying.
arrow

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Del wrote:
Thanks for the info JX n Arrow, I think its the XP disc we got with our older pc Arrow.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Del, any luck? Smile
Del

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arrow wrote:
Del wrote:

Sorry for hijacking your thread Del, any luck? Smile

Highjack away Arrow, you give some good information!!

and in answer to you question, Nope, we aint really tried, it needs a keyboard with a usb connetion now, or a whole new 'motherboard'?, I think one of theres a pin bent or broken that the keyboard plugs in to the pc, we have been using a wireless keyboard for a while with it, but I think thats gone kaputt as well now, but hey!, it was only a quid from the bootsale ages ago, so deffo had our moneys worth outta that Wink LOL

then when I was just telling mi brothers ex's girlfreinds boyfreind Rolling Eyes he sed, fetch it over and i'll have a look......phew, it'll save us breaking it!! Confused

cos we really have'nt a clue when it comes to formatting n stuff, we do try but then it needs the shop to fix it Embarassed

But thankyou anyway and i'll let you know if it got fixed Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wiganworld Forum Index -> Computer problems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: