wiganworld home page
Home Photos of Wigan Stuff News What's On Classifieds Forum Communicate Guestbook Links Blogs
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            register
Tesco Extra Wigan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyril

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Tesco Extra Wigan Reply with quote

There's talk that the instore bakery at Wigan Tesco shall soon be closing due to not being productive enough, meanwhile Holland & Barrett are opening a store where the the fish and meat counters used to be, I know that there's been a Holland & Barrett in the Tesco at Horwich for some time now where Tesco's Nutri Centre previously was. I was wondering why Tesco brand of vitamins and supplements have been disappearing from the shelves at the Wigan Tesco lately, they must have been asked not to replace them so as not to compete.

Vision Express took over the opticians and Timpsons opened a kiosk there a few months ago and at Asda there's a kiosk with a barber, seems this is the way things are now to go with High St businesses opening at supermarkets to get custom - like the saying - if the mountain won't come to you, then you go to the mountain.
Cyril

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The deal with Holland & Barratt opening a shop within Tesco Wigan has fallen through because of low sales at their shop within Tesco Leigh, apparently it only generated a total of 2000 in sales over the last year, thus the awful looking boarded up unit at Wigan is to stay and be used for storage.

Your dream of Tesco Wigan closing could well come to fruition Gordon as they are cutting back on staff - again, also there is talk of the Morrisons store on Market Street re-opening with the Ince store relocating there, so if that happens it will take a lot of customers away from Tesco.

Morrisons still own the building and they never put it up for rent or sale so they must have had visions of the store opening again at some time.
Cyril

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have inquired at Morrisons and they are pulling out of Wigan altogether and there are no plans to re-open their building in Wigan centre, sad for the staff and Wiganers too as they've been here since the late 1970s when Dave Whelan sold his stores in Wigan and St Helens.
nephro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject: Morrisons Reply with quote

Are you saying that they are pulling out of Wigan altogether ? So does that mean that the Higher Ince store will be closing too ?
Gordon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Morrisons Reply with quote

nephro wrote:
Are you saying that they are pulling out of Wigan altogether ? So does that mean that the Higher Ince store will be closing too ?

I can answer that and yes the Higher Ince store is closing.

https://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news/wigan-morrisons-confirmed-for-closure/
Gordon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyril wrote:
I have inquired at Morrisons and they are pulling out of Wigan altogether and there are no plans to re-open their building in Wigan centre, sad for the staff and Wiganers too as they've been here since the late 1970s when Dave Whelan sold his stores in Wigan and St Helens.

Wigan Council have bought the lease from Morrisons, for the old Wigan store, and it is going to be used for the new University Campus in Wigan ....
Tonker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Morrisons Reply with quote

nephro wrote:

They are pulling out of 'Wigan' and 'Ince'. However, they'll still have a store in Wigan (council).
Cyril

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

University Campus Wigan.

Wigan and Leigh college was talking of becoming a University some twenty odd years ago, it's taken some time to carry through then.

They'll be saying Wigan City Council and calling All Saints church a Cathedral next.

It is nephro, the staff haven't been told an exact date, but think it will be some time in November. The nearest one then will be Chorley.
Tonker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyril wrote:

It is nephro, the staff haven't been told an exact date, but think it will be some time in November. The nearest one then will be Chorley.

There's Morrison's in Leigh, which is closer to Wigan than Chorley is. There's two Morrison's in St.Helens and three in Bolton. You'll not be stuck without a Morrison's to go to!
Gordon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonker wrote:
Cyril wrote:

There's Morrison's in Leigh, which is closer to Wigan than Chorley is. There's two Morrison's in St.Helens and three in Bolton. You'll not be stuck without a Morrison's to go to!

When the Ince store closes, they will have shut three in The Metropolitan Borough of Wigan

Tyldesley (on the site of the old police station)
Wigan (The Galleries)
Ince
Cyril

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd forgotten about the one in Leigh, though they're about the same distance away for us with Chorley probably being the easiest to get to with less traffic lights, jams etc, to get through.

I had to look up the one at Tyldesley as there wasn't one the last time I went around there, about twenty three years ago now and it will have changed a lot since then, though I do remember Greenhams.

I went to Screwfix at Leigh the other week and was surprised at the number of houses that had been built off Smiths Lane since the last I'd been along there, it's like a big estate now. I wouldn't like to live there as I imagine the soil being full of asbestos waste from Turners, unless they dug it all out.
Tonker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyril wrote:
I'd forgotten about the one in Leigh, though they're about the same distance away for us with Chorley probably being the easiest to get to with less traffic lights, jams etc, to get through.

I went to Screwfix at Leigh the other week and was surprised at the number of houses that had been built off Smiths Lane since the last I'd been along there,

I don't know where you live, Cyril, but .... if Chorley is easier for you to get to than Leigh, and a journey to Leigh takes you along Smiths Lane, I'd say it'd be easier for you to go to 'Screwfix' in Haydock.

It's not far past the racecourse. In fact, you could pretend it was in Ashton, it's that close, and feel like you're still in your beloved Wigan Council area! Rolling Eyes Very Happy
Cyril

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonker, I went to Leigh because Screwfix had a Ronseal fence sprayer on offer and I normally go to either the Saddle or Ince, but Leigh was the only one that had it in stock, and then I had to reserve it because it was the last one. I've had a look on Google maps for the one at Haydock, it's handy to know as it is closer and a lot easier to get to than Leigh, there's loads in stock in all stores now. Very Happy

Beloved Wigan Council - wouldn't say that, rather Wigan Clowncil - I know as I worked for them and that sums up the management to a T. Laughing

Is Nyce Horse still posting on Communicate, same opinion of the council.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wiganworld Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: