The corporation have acquired or inaugurated a number of works and institutions for the health and convenience of the people. The first Wigan Water Act was passed in 1764; the waterworks were purchased by the corporation in 1855; the gasworks, established in 1822, were acquired in 1875; and the tramways, opened in 1880, in 1902. An electricpower station was erected in 1900, and the following year the corporation electric tramways started running. The Mesnes Park was opened in 1878, the sewerage works in 1881, public baths in 1882, and a sanatorium in 1889. Victoria Hall was built in 1902. The cemetery was established in 1856.
ON THIS DAY, 29th May
Wigan Public Baths opened by mayor, Mr. Hopwood.